I love the fact that this recipe can be adapted for a meatless meal, just leave out the chicken. You could even use veggie stock and go vegetarian. Like it spicy, leave the jalapeño seeds intact. Did I mention that it is a one-pot meal to boot? You even have your choice of serving vessels... Stick with the veggie avenue and make lettuce wraps. Like a little crunch? use tortilla bowls! Play around with it and as always...
the new Mrs. B ❤️
Southwest Chicken & Rice Skillet
Prep time~ 15 minutes
Cook Time~ 30 minutes
3 tablespoons canola or extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 jalapeno, diced
1 cup long grain white rice
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon cumin
3 cups chicken stock
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup fresh or frozen corn
2 cup shredded chicken
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro, optional
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, jalapeno and rice to skillet. Cook 3-4 minutes until veggies are soften and rice is toasted.
2. Add tomato paste; cook 1-2 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes, garlic and spices; cook 1-2 minutes.
4. Pour in chicken stock; scrape any bits off bottom of skillet. Salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a low boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
5. Add beans, corn and chicken. Cook uncovered 10-12 minutes until desired consistency. Stir in cilantro. Serve alone, in tortilla bowls or lettuce wraps.
The following local vendors contributed to this recipe~